Over that history, the Pottsville Campus has a reputation for giving back to the community. In particular, as part of the Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC) and Electrical Systems programs; we look for opportunities to give the students hands on activities to complement the theoretical part of their studies. There is a significant amount of hands on training conducted on campus in the classroom labs. McCann also does community projects which not only help the community but expose students to non-laboratory working conditions. By providing this service to non-profit organizations, they can save some money while McCann students get on-the-job-training.
Some of the projects completed to date include:
- Ruth Steinert SPA, Pine Grove – A fire destroyed one of the main buildings. Trade students installed a new heating and cooling system- oil burner and heat pump; re-wired the building, including adding lights, receptacles and switches; built a water station for the kennels, washing station, sinks and restrooms; added Sewage Lines and serviced the building air conditioning units.
- Schuylkill County Child Development – Government funding cuts have the managers thinking outside the box to maintain the required maintenance work at a lower cost. Trade students provide annual servicing of the air conditioning systems in the facilities in Pottsville, Fountain Springs and Tamaqua.
- Pottsville Fraternal Order of Eagles – The organization provides community service work. Students serviced the air conditioning system and repaired an ice machine.
- Cumbola Fire Company – Cumbola's fire company is a volunteer fire company providing emergency services to the community. Students repaired the walk-in cooler and the beverage system.
- Port Carbon Borough Playground – The community playground was being vandalized on a regular basis. Both Trades and IT students installed a security camera system to assist with any future vandalism.
- United Methodist Church, Minersville – Students installed new receptacles in the kitchen and meeting room and repaired the lights for the stained glass window.
If you are a non-profit organization seeking assistance, please contact the McCann Main Office at 570.391.3051 or email Joann.Bartusik@McCann.edu