Thursday, May 21, 2020

Leesport McDonald's Fire Believed to Have Started from a Discarded Cigarette

The Pennsylvania State Police have released some information in regards to Wednesday's fire that damaged a McDonald's in Leesport.

According to the Pennsylvania State Police Troop L Public Information Officer, Trooper David Beohm, on Wednesday, May 20, 2020 around 2:00 PM Fire crews responded to 5500 Pottsville Pike, Ontelaunee Township, Berks County for a report of a fire on the front wall of the McDonald’s. 

Upon arrival firefighters encountered a fire extending from the ground to the roof along one wall. 

The wind conditions made suppression efforts difficult for firefighters. 

Fire crews fighting the fire on the roof were forced to quickly suspend efforts and get out of the way of the fast-moving fire by fleeing the rooftop. 

Several fire tools were damaged as a result of them fleeing the roof. 

Police say no injuries were reported and no damage estimate is available at the time of this update. The store is hoping to resume drive-through operations within the next several weeks.

An investigation by a State Police Fire Marshal showed that the fire originated on the exterior wall at the ground in the area of the mulch bed. The investigation shows that the fire likely originated as a result of a discarded cigarette by someone approaching the door to the restaurant.

The investigation is ongoing.



No comments:

Post a Comment