Saturday, March 19, 2022

One in Custody After 6-Hour Standoff near Ashland

A 6-hour standoff ended peacefully with a man in custody early Saturday morning in Ashland.

Around 12:15am, the Ashland Police Department was called to 630 South Hoffman Boulevard, the area of Danny's Drive In, for a report of a male with a firearm.

When officers arrived on scene, the man involved, Kyle Linkchorst, 37, went back inside the home next to the restaurant and locked himself inside.

According to Ashland Police Chief Gerard Daley, witnesses told police, the rider of an ATV had broken down in the parking lot of the restaurant.  Two people who lived nearby had come out of the home to assist the ATV rider.

Linkchorst then came out of the home, began talking to them and demandied money from the ATV rider.  The ATV rider said he didn't know Linkchorst.  The other witnesses told police Linkchorst appeared to be under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.

Linkchorst then pulled out a pistol and threatened to shoot all of them.

At this point, police were called.

Ashland Police called for assistance from the neighboring communities bringing in officers from Frackville, Butler Township, Mahanoy Township, and State Police to the scene.

Officers made multiple attempts through verbal commands for Linkchorst to come out on his own but he didn't comply.  Police were able to see Linkchorst through a window walking back and forth inside the restaurant but he wouldn't respond.

A search warrant was then obtained and a State Police SERT was called to the scene to assist.

By 6:30am, the SERT used tear gas on the house and restaurant and within seconds, Linkchorst exited the home and was willingly taken into custody without incident.

Chief Daley said Linkchorst has been charged with 3 counts of aggravated assault, 3 counts of simple assault, and 3 counts of terroristic threats with more charges expected to be filed.  He was arraigned and locked up in Schuylkill County Prison.  Arraignment details were not available.

The Ashland Fire Department was called to the scene around 6:45am to ventilate the home and restaurant of the tear gas that was used.

As of 9:00am, the Ashland Police and Fire Department were still at the scene.

Route 61 was closed from Ashland to Fountain Springs from the initial dispatch until around 8:00am, Saturday.