Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Three Displaced After Early Morning Fire in Mahanoy City

 A family of 3 was displaced after a fire Tuesday morning in Mahanoy City.

Just after 4:00am, emergency personnel from Mahanoy City were called to 628 East Centre Street for a possible structure fire.

As firefighters responded, personnel reported in seeing smoke from the rear of the home.

Borough Police were first on scene and reported heavy smoke come from the basement.

As crews arrived, a fire was found in the basement of the home and a working fire was reported.

A second alarm was eventually struck, calling in additional manpower, due to the number of adjoining row homes.

According to Lieutenant Dave Truskowsky of the Mahanoy City Fire Department, the fire was contained to the home.  Truskowsky said when crews arrived the fire began to travel from the basement and into the wall, but firefighters were able to attack it quickly.

Nearby homes did sustain minor smoke damage.

The family of 3 the address escaped uninjured and were being assisted by the American Red Cross.

There was no official word on a cause, but it was believed to have started from the furnace area.