Monday, November 21, 2022

Home Damaged by Fire Overnight in Butler Township

 A quick response by firefighters kept a fire from being worse in Butler Township overnight.

Around 2:00am, Monday, emergency personnel were called to 184 Dutchtown Road, in Butler Township, near Lavelle, for smoke in a structure with a possible electrical fire.

The three occupants of the home said they found the home filled with smoke when their smoke alarms woke them up.

Lavelle Fire Chief Russ Hummel was first on scene and said when he first arrived, there was no visible fire.  After a few minutes, a small fire appeared on the outside wall of the home near the chimney.  Shortly after, Lavelle fire arrived on scene.

Crews worked for over an hour to find the source of the fire and later determined it to be from a blocked chimney.

Damage to the home was kept to the chimney area wall of the first floor but some water and smoke damage was sustained.

Responding to the scene were the Lavelle Fire Company, Fountain Springs Fire, Englewood Fire, Clover Fire from Mount Carmel, Washington Fire Company Ladder and Ambulance from Ashland, Gordon Fire, and Butler Township Police.